Thursday 26 January 2012

WORK IN PROGRESS

Workshops, interviews, planning, discussions, arranging for further workshops, meetings… this week has so far been filled with various tasks, and I love it!
From the workshops facilitated by our occupational therapist the team (and me) has learnt a lot about intellectual disabilities and the physical and psychological functioning of body and mind. It has given us all a more profound understanding of the cause and nature of a different disabilities and how the mental illnesses can be prevented and improved. It has been very interesting and instructive sessions, but it has also made me realize how much more there is to learn. In a positive way.  Being introduced to such an exciting subject area has for me implicated a huge source of inspiration to gain even MORE knowledge. I feel like being on top of an iceberg, knowing that there is so much more to be explored. And I can´t wait to dig deeper into this field.
Today I also had a meeting with a lady who works with disabilities on a more psychological level and according to a theory called “Structural cognitive modifiability”.  The parts that I understood (! J) when she explained how this theory is applied on children with learning problems gave me a completely new perspective on how you develop skills to mentally disabled children. A new world opened up to me. I jumped on my chair out of excitement and further inspiration. She gave me so much hope in terms of the progress that the children participating in Play on Wheels are able to make! It was also a proof of the many ways and possibilities there are to remove the “dis” from disability.



No comments:

Post a Comment