Thursday 26 April 2012

A LOVE STORY

I have been home for a few weeks now. The day when I left Cape Town and Project Playground/Play on Wheels was a tear filled day. I normally don´t like goodbyes but this farewell was worse than ever. I didn´t expect myself to react that way. Although goodbyes are sometimes difficult I usually manage to pull it together. This time I failed completely. I guess it says a lot about how emotionally engaged I have become in the organization. It has taken me almost until today to reprogram my mind from Play on Wheels and to find a focus on my reality in Sweden. The strong emotional connection persists though. It is something that I hope never will go away. But I have realized that the geographical distance and the fact (and sadness) of not being involved in the work on a daily basis anymore has given me another perspective of my experience with Play on Wheels. The last couple of days when I have had some time to reflect about the time I spent in this amazing environment I have come to a conclusion; it is comparable to an intense and passionate LOVE STORY. I will explain how.
Every day when I woke up Play on Wheels is the first I thought about. Every night before I fell asleep it was the last thing on my mind. Every day when I came out and met the participants and the team a smile spread on my face. A smile that stayed on my face as long as I had them in my surrounding and spent time with them. And every day when they left I wished for the moment when they would come back and I would see them again. They gave me a lot of affection. They made me feel important. They gave me a lot of joy. And I gave them my heart. I tried my best to show them that and I hope they felt it. It has been an experience that took me by storm, made me live life to the fullest and made me truly enjoy every day. My world was more or less Play on Wheels.
Just like when you meet someone special, fall crazy in love and wish that every moment, every second in that person´s company could last forever. That´s exactly how I felt.
I want to THANK the Play on Wheels team; Portia, Xoliswa, Hazel, Fundi, Malenda, Ntombi and Manini for accepting me as a sister and as a team member. It has been fantastic to get to know you all!
I want to THANK the participants; Yolanda, Lusindiso, Siphe, Mbali, Unathi and Babsi for filling my heart with happiness. You are the most lovable persons!
Of course I want to give a huge THANK YOU to the Project Playground staff and kids. Although I didn´t work as close with you as with Play on Wheels we belong to the same organization, we are colleagues, a team, a unity. A great deal of my wonderful experience with Project Playground is thanks to you.. It wouldn´t have been the same without you  I am so grateful that I got to meet you and to have so many memorable moments from the time we spent together.
THANK you, Lina, for being an administrative support and for a great week together!
Last but definitely not least, A MILLION HEARTY THANKS, to Frida and Sofia, who gave me the opportunity to experience all this and let me be part of something amazing. You both know who much I admire what you have created and the incredible hard work that you do every day, no matter if it is a week day or weekend, no matter if it is 2 pm or 2 am. That is called dedication and you are living examples of what that word means.
I will never forget you and I hope from the bottom of my heart that we will all meet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment